Monday, September 17, 2007

Wake Forest Homecoming, ugly losses and a visit to the lake

We woke up Saturday morning and decided that since we had nothing else to do we should drive to Winston-Salem for Wake Forest Homecoming. We arrived in town in just enough time to drop off Birdie at grandma's house, borrow the handheld television so I could watch the UT game and to pick up our very own Wake Forest tailgate tent. Yippee!
After a very lesiurely tailgate in much cooler weather than the previous Saturday, we headed in to watch Wake Forest take on Army. Well, David and Brennan watched Wake. Madison sat with her aunt Dana, uncle Mark and cousins and was fed all kinds of junk food from uncle Mark's friends Jimmy and Bill.
I watched as much of the Tennessee Florida game as I could stand on a 2.5 inch television. Lucky for me, I couldn't really see how terrible Tennessee looked on that itty bitty screen. When I took a break from the game to save batteries so I wouldn't miss the Vols big comeback in the second half I was busy being cold. Yes, last week I nearly passed out due to heat and this week I was freezing. What a difference 7 days can make!
All that battery saving was for naught, as the Vols didn't ever mount that big comeback. Tennessee lost by 39 points. 39 points??!!??!!?!?!?! What in the world? How is that even possible??!!?? Good thing we were at a different ballgame for distraction. Our other option was to go to a party for all of David's partners. I don't do well at parties when football is on and I am sure I would not have been very charming at that party on Sat.
Following the game we picked up Birdie and headed to the lake for the night. David's parents have over 50 acres at High Rock Lake in NC. Birdie was in heaven. She had fields to run in with lots of tall grass, leaves to dive in and a lake to swim in. Birdie and Madison caught some frogs, Madison's frogs fared better than Birdie's, and Madison was thrilled to find that Birdie would participate in her favorite lake activity--minus the dead frog thing.

No comments: